Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Picking a niche

So you decide you want to start an online business, so what? Where does that get you? How are you going to decide what to sell and how to sell it?....I was in that same position when I first started out and I know it can be a little frustrating.

When I was first thinking about starting an online business I know I found it difficult to decide on what I wanted to do. I thought about it for days and couldn't really think of what I wanted to sell or who I wanted to target to market towards. I searched online for ideas which helped some and asked others for some ideas.

So when trying to figure out your niche think about things you like to do. Think about what you know and what you are good at. It becomes a lot easier to sell something you know a lot about and you enjoy it.

Maybe you already have something already, but don't know where to market it. I would search online for similar products and see how those products are being marketed. I would also just ask friends and see what they think of your product and give you an idea of the type of person that might purchase your product.

There are many sources on the internet that can help you find a niche. I would also recommend finding a forum that has people who are also looking to start an online business. I joined the Power Sellers Union Forum when I was looking to start an online business. There is a great support of people there and they have been very helpful. It does cost a one time subscription fee for that site, but it was completely worth it as I got many of my questions answered through there. If you don't want to pay a fee, I have found Yahoo! Answers to be helpful as well.

I wanted to share a website that explains some really dumb business ideas that turned into solid business products just so you can get your minds rolling and realize that a product doesn't necessarily have to be the greatest idea in the world: 10 totally stupid ideas that made someone rich

I would love to hear from all of you, how is your business venture coming along? Have you found your niche? What step of starting you business are you at?


I will be out of town starting tomorrow. I am going to Cambria, CA for a little family vacation but I will try to make a post here at least one time while I am away and respond to any comments.


Andrew Owens
Electronics Bungalow

No comments:

Post a Comment